About the Library
Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library serves the people of Montgomery and Floyd counties at our four branches – Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Jessie Peterman Memorial Library in Floyd, and Meadowbrook Library in Shawsville. 60 library staff persons dedicate their time to providing high-quality services, wireless and computer access, programs, and resources to library patrons, and operate the library branches 234 hours each week. The library’s website, and our vendor-partners' mobile apps, offer access to ebooks, eaudio, music, movies, and other online resources 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library (MFRL) is an agency of Virginia government as authorized by Section 42.1-34 of the Code of Virginia. Established through action of the Boards of Supervisors of Montgomery County and Floyd County, Virginia, the library is governed by a nine-member library Board of Trustees, with seven members from Montgomery County and two members from Floyd County. Trustees are appointed by vote of the Board of Supervisors for each county. The Board of Trustees has adopted by-laws, rules, and regulations for their own guidelines and for government of the regional library system as required by the original agreement between the two counties.
Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library is funded through annual appropriations from the counties of Montgomery and Floyd. Annual grants from the state of Virginia, and the towns of Blacksburg, Christiansburg, and Floyd, provide additional funds to support the library’s physical and electronic collections. We also receive U.S. government funding through the E-rate program.
The support of the community is vital for funding programming, outreach, and other needs. The MFRL Foundation and the Friends of the Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library promote and support the library’s goals and operations, and provide opportunity for each community member to join in. The library staff appreciate the support of our Friends, Foundation, and the towns and counties.
As the staff of library strives each day to inform, inspire, empower, and connect the people we serve, we value:
- EVERY PERSON
- We serve every person with equity, dignity and respect. We work to understand their diverse lives, and how we can help them reach their goals.
- EVERY STORY
- We supply evolving platforms for sharing, creating, and preserving stories past, present, and yet to be told.
- EVERY MOMENT
- We deliver our services in convenient and user-friendly ways that respect our patrons’ time.
- EVERY POSSIBILITY
- We embrace the opportunity to respond to change with innovation and creativity.
- EVERY CONNECTION
- We join with community partners to increase our positive impact through interdependence and shared values.
- EVERY DOLLAR
- We manage resources in a transparent and fiscally-responsible manner to maximize value delivered to our patrons.
We welcome your comments, suggestions and ideas through our Contact page.