U.S. Passports

Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library is a designated Passport Acceptance Facility.

We process passport applications by appointment only. Call (540) 382-6969 x210 to schedule an appointment, regardless of desired branch location.

Appointments can be made for the following times:

Jessie Peterman Memorial Library (Floyd)

  • Monday - Thursday: 10:00 AM – 5:30 PM
  • Friday: 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
  • Saturday: 10:00 AM – 1:30 PM

Blacksburg and Christiansburg Library

  • Monday - Thursday: 10:00 AM – 6:30 PM
  • Friday: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
  • Saturday: 10:00 AM – 3:30 PM

Are you Renewing a Passport? You may be able to renew by mail.

Is your current passport:

  • Undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")?
  • Issued when you were age 16 or older?
  • Issued within the last 15 years?
  • Issued in your current name, or can you document* your name change?

If ALL of the above are true, you can renew your passport by mail directly with the US Department of State. You will need to use Form DS-82 and submit your existing passport with your renewal application. See the State Department for more information.

Passport acceptance facilities, including MFRL, can not take DS-82 applications. If you have questions call us at (540) 382-6969 x210.

*You can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order.

Hide ⇑

What you will need to bring:

  1. Proof of U.S. Citizenship

    Provide an original of one of the following to be submitted with application:

    • Previous U.S. Passport (may be expired; must be undamaged)
    • An original certified U.S. Birth Certificate (from a city, county or state; NOT a hospital certificate)
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
    • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship

  2. Proof of Identity

    Present one of the following and provide a photocopy (front and back) of it to be submitted with application:

    • Current, valid driver’s license. If not issued by Virginia, you must also bring a secondary ID.
    • Military ID
    • Government ID
    • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
    • Minors under the age of 16: each child must appear in person and both parents/legal guardians must present proof of identity

  3. Passport Photo

    One photo is required for your passport application. It is important that your passport picture meets the specific requirements set forth by the U.S. Department of State. It is strongly recommended that you use a passport photo service for your passport picture.

    The Jessie Peterman Memorial Library in Floyd offers passport photo services. The photo will add $15 to the Library Execution Fee.

    The following offer passport photo services:

    • CVS
    • Walgreens
    • Wal-Mart
    • FedEx Office Print & Ship Center

  4. Completed (but NOT signed) DS-11 form

    You can obtain form DS-11 from the State Department or at the Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library.

Fees - Library

Library Execution Fee**: $35.00 per application
Photo service (only available at the Jessie Peterman Memorial Library): $15.00 per application
Priority Mail Express (optional): $28.75

The above fees are payable to Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library. We accept cash, check, money order, and credit/debit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover).
**While this fee is payable to the Library, the State Department dictates the amount.

Fees - State Department

The U.S. Department of State fees vary with available options. View a complete list of their current fees.

  • State Department fees must be paid with check or money order ONLY.
  • One check or money order for EACH application is needed.
  • Make checks payable to U.S. Department of State.

For more information, including current processing times, visit the State Department.
The State Department offers expedited processing services for an extra fee.

Virginia birth certificates may be obtained from the Office of Vital Records or the DMV. Visit the CDC website for information about obtaining an original birth certificate from all states.